Here we are, people, on the precipice of greatness- FOOTBALL SEASON! Which brings me to the importance of the number 8. Why 8? Simple. Football season means that a certain #8 (aka my future husband) is about to start his HOF-worthy career. Go Rams (blasphemy?)! More importantly, today marks only 8 more days until the Sooners blaze the glory path to the ever-elusive #8 (national championship, that is). So in that spirit, I present 8 questions/musings/comments I have in preparation for football season.
1. Can we own up to the media love we are receiving? While I appreciate the respect being given to my beloved team, we have so much to prove this season. At least we have a bowl win in the first time in forever under our belts, so I suppose that's a good jumping off point. But will we FINALLY have the will, the swagger, and the ability to get the job done in the face of adversity? OU-TX is never a cakewalk, at least not in the last 5-ish years. And College Station can be rough terrain. I want to be deserving of the love, dangit! But it all means nothing if the on-field performance doesn't back it up.
2. Are A&M and Nebraska as good as advertised? I feel like any time they are given high expectations in the pre-season, it never ends well for them. I mean I know Jerrod Johnson is really good and is supposed to have some great weapons at his disposal, but I am skeptical. Maybe I've heard too much "this will be the year" from the kool-aid drinkers in Aggieland. I will not deny we could have a tough time in College Station. We Sooners know well enough the benefits of home turf, and we also know how to fold on the road. Hopefully this will not be a lethal combo for us. As for Nebraska, the Big 12 North is just so danged irrelevant, it's kind of like, who cares. They are not even going to be in the Big 12,* come 2011. I sure hope they beat Texas, though.
3. What kind of Landry can we expect to see this season? I don't mean physically, as he as already announced he will be sporting his famed (creeper) 'stache. Whether this is to the delight or chagrin of most sooner fans, I'm not sure. I personally am on the fence. I guess it will depend on his perfomance. Which leads me to my point. We have seen a lot of different things out of Landry- good mobility, staring down the receivers, good throws, bad decision-making. This kid ran the gamut last year- and who could blame him, really. Between a dinged up o-line and the fact that he was never meant to start last year, you have to give him some slack. Now that he has had an entire off-season to develop as the go-to starter, can he live up to our expectations? Can he mature, and go through his reads more smoothly and make better decisions? A more cohesive line should hopefully give him some legitimate time. We'll see if he is worthy of the 'stache. For now, the 'stache power remains Paul Thompson's domain. Epic Stache.
4. Speaking of having or not having time to throw, how will poor $50 million Sammy B. fare against some seriously mean NFL D's. Remember how I said that teams cannot rely on the talents of one player? Yeah... I'm really scared for him. He's proven he is excellent and that the game is starting to click for him at the NFL speed. But when teams are going full force in real season action,things could go bad for him, considering his, shall we say, lackluster supporting cast. It could be a nerve-wracking season- I just hope he stays healthy or they pull him if things get too dire. Just lookin' out for my man.
5. What will college football be like without Timmy Tebow? Pete Carroll? Leach the Pirate? The McCoy- Shipley roommate love affair? We are losing a cast of characters this year. Good thing Urban Meyer flipped the switch one day after deciding to "take a break," or we would hardly know who to hate/make fun of anymore. And we still have Mack. *phew*
6. Why on God's green earth is Ohio State ranked so highly? They manage to disappoint every year. Terell Pryor is incredibly inconsistent, and when it's time to go bowling, Ohio State just can't seem to keep up with the SEC. I know, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stone footballs, but seriously.
7. How many more teams will the NCAA start to investigate? Every other day you hear violation this, probation that. Who will be left that's not being probed? We JUST got off probation. Let's keep it squeaky clean, please. And for heaven's sake, stay AWAY from Deion Sanders.
8. What is UUUUUP with our kicking game? It's not too good to be holding open tryouts the WEEK before the first game of the season. Not exactly a vote of confidence to the kickers or the fans. While I do get a kick (pun!) out of Jimmy Stevens' scared-to-death face when lining up, I'd rather just have a nearly-guaranteed 3 points. Hopefully we can get this aspect of our game in place in the next, oh, 8 days! I don't want it to be make or break, but it definitely could be.
Allright, I think I'm definitely ready for the season to start- let the posturing, debating, and banner-flying begin... hopefully with a little bit of football being played too :)